Stolen from Molly’s blog (feel free to jump on in!);
Three things in my fridge that define life right now:
1) A jar of Klausen pickle juice, once having contained actual pickles. There are never enough pickles…
2) Watered down 4C Raspberry Iced Tea from powder. I always am liberal with the stuff and then there are all of 4 and 1/2 scoops left (it takes at least 8 for the pitcher), and which point a semi-sweet watery drink often results.
3) Half a carton of eggs, because occasionally at 11 at night I get in the mood for a good fry-up (basic recipe: throw a few strips of bacon, a few eggs, some chopped onions, and a slice of American or Monterey Jack cheese in a pan, cook, slide gooey mess onto plate and enjoy).
Three recent acquisitions:
Erm, outside of books I don’t really buy many things other than gasoline or food. Three books (out of four) that I just ordered yesterday are Dumbing Down: Essays on the Strip Mining of American Culture, The Velvet Claw: A Natural History of the Carnivores, and Buffon’s Natural History Of Man, The Globe And Of Quadrapeds, With Additions from Cuvier, Lacipede, and Other Eminent Naturalists.
Three classics I reach for every day:
1) Cherry Coke, when available (even though the current graphics on the can are a bit lame. I saw bring back the black & purple can days)
2) Something by Terry Pratchett. When I’m not reading about science, I’m usually reading about Rincewind or other Discworld characters.
3) My 1991 Chevrolet Cavalier.
kids right now, in three words or less:
My sweetie right now, in three words or less:
What’s on my to-do list:
Clean up the desk, finish my uber-post on whales, finish the book I’m reading tonight, write more of my book, print out/read more papers, try to find an affordable desktop computer, get car inspected (it’s only a month overdue…), visit the Philly Zoo before it gets cold, beg and plead with the administration at RU to switch major (it’s not going to be easy), make sure I remember when classes start, etc.
What I do often that relates to the season right now:
This has actually been a rather crummy summer, but just this morning I got up early enough that the light and humidity were just right to make me think I was in Florida, a state I much prefer to NJ (especially since fall and winter are on their way).
What I’m listening to right now:
I actually used to rush out every Tuesday and buy the two or three new punk/emo/indie/ska releases that came out and I had more new music than I knew what to do with. At the present point, though, I don’t remember the last new (or used, for that matter) CD I bought, and I mostly just rifle through mix cd’s I’ve made. Currently I’m in a bit of a 90′s mood though (and end up having the chorus from Marcy Playground’s “Sex and Candy” stuck in my head for days as a result). This time of year always makes me think about the Nine Days album The Madding Crowd, though, which is a great piece of pop rock for those so inclined.
What I’m worried about right now:
Lack of money now that I can’t work full time, passing Precalc, transferring into a major I like (otherwise being stuck just trying to survive one I’ve lost passion for), dealing with debt, and just about anything dealing with school or money.
Which news stories I’m following right now:
It’s not “real” news, but the hubbub surrounding Expelled is interesting.
What I’m reading right now:
Tonight I’ll finish Where Darwin Meets the Bible, then I’ll finish Theories of Human Evolution: A Century of Debate 1844-1944, and then I hope to read The Descent of the Child and Man Rises to Parnassus before the weekend is out. Altogether it’s about 600 pages of reading, but I think I can do it.
What I’m looking forward to right now:
Um… I don’t really know. There isn’t much coming up that’s particularly exciting as far as I know.
A thought I keep returning to right now:
I’m probably stuck in a academic black hole where I no longer like the program for my major at my school but it’s too late to change. Get ready for disappointment…
One small thing that’s making me happy right now:
This blog, and waking up in the morning to see good comments made by friends I’ve made through spilling my thoughts out here every now and then.